Friday, March 6, 2009

"... with my mind on my money and my money on my mind..."

Here are some interesting facts about money that I thought were interesting!  
(I know, I know!)

*If you stack one million US$1 bills, it would be 110m (361 ft) high and weight exactly 1 ton. (That is a "ton" of money!)

*One million dollars' worth of once-cent coins (100 million coins) weigh 246 tons.

*TIP is the acronym for "To Insure Promptness." (GET IT? GOT IT? GOOD!)

*Of the more than $50 billion worth of diet products sold every year, almost $20 billion are spent on imitation fats and sugar substitutes. (that is so funny!)

*Annual global spending on education is $80 billion. 

*US and European expenditure on pet food is $17 billion per year. (Do children count as pets?)

*The global expenditure on healthcare and nutrition is $13 billion. (Wayyy less then education)

*Money notes are not made from paper, it is made mostly from a special blend of cotton and linen. (I knew that! Watched it on "How its Made"!)

*In 1932, when a shortage of cash occurred in Tenino, Washington, USA, notes were made out of wood for a brief period. The wood notes came in $1, $5 and $10 values. (So your money could give you SPLINTERS?!?)

*The world's largest coins, in size and standard value, were copper plates used in Alaska around 1850. They were about a metre (3 ft) long, half-a-metre (about 2 ft) wide, weighed 40 kg (90 lb), and were worth $2,500. (WOAH.)

*The first credit card was issued by American Express in 1951. (I wonder how much this was for?)

*About 30% of consumers use their credit card as their main means of buying Christmas goodies, 70% do not save to buy Christmas gifts and 86% of consumers do their Christmas shopping during December. (guilty as charged!)

*In the 1400s, global income rose only 0,1% per year; today it often tops 5%.

*The average age of Forbes's 400 wealthiest individuals is 63.

*In 1955 the richest woman in the world was Mrs Hetty Green Wilks, who left an estate of $95 million in a will that was found in a tin box with four pieces of soap. (Still gotta stay nice and clean!)

*There are more than 7 million millionaires in the world. ( I wish I was one!)

*80% of millionaires drive second-hand cars. (REALLY?)

*In 1900, the price of gold was less than $40 per ounce. It reached $600 in 1930, now struggling to reach $400 per ounce. (That is a bummer!)

*If Los Angeles County was a country, it would be the 19th largest economy in the world. (Crazy, huh?)

3 comments:

Friends+Family said...

Sorry......I don't want to KNOW more about money. I want to HAVE more money!!!!!
MOM

Anonymous said...

... very interesting...

Brent and Ashley said...

I want money, lots and lots of money. I want the pie in the sky..I wanna be RICH!!!