Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Walter, Peter, and Valborg Iversen

So I know that this may seem a bit strange to put on my blog but I thought that it would be a neat thing to share.
This is the gravestone of my grandfather, Walter Anton Iversen, but we called him Walt. He was born December 12, 1936. He is my mothers father. He was in the PFC US Army. I loved him so very much. He was my Santa. He looked so very much like Saint Nick! When he would call on the phone and I would answer he would say "Ho!Ho!Ho! Hi there little Nichole! This is Santa! Have you been a good girl so far this year?" I knew it was him and I would giggle and tell him that I had been a good girl and I would tell him what I wanted for Christmas. He was the most kind person. I remember when we would go and visit him. He had a pink rosebush that I loved! When it was time to go, he would pick me one or two of the prettiest roses he could find. He made me feel so special. And that is why I like to leave him pink roses.
He was such a happy man, he was always smiling. I never heard him raise his voice or say a mean thing. I miss him deeply. I was not able to be there in his last moments of life and it still hurts my heart a bit. But I know that he is so happy were he is now and I know that I will see him again. He passed Feburary 27, 2003. I was 18.
Walt's mother and father were immigrants from Norway. There names are Peter A. Iversen and Valborg Eugene Iverson. I don't remember much about my Great Grandma. She died March 14, 1987. I was 3 at that time. And as for Grandpap, some things are fuzzy with him, but I do remember a few things. He had a pipe that he would smoke from and he could make smoke come out of his ears! Crazy, huh!? He had at his home a jar full of change and he would play heads or tails with me and let me take all the change that I had won home! I always thought of him as Popey the Sailor Man! He was a very happy old man and he would do a little dance and jig from time to time! He passed away March 2, 1994. I was 10.

This is all three of them. My Grandpa Walt is on the top and his Mom and Dad are on the lower part of the picture.
I am so exited to see them again!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey Nichole!
Great post. These are stories your kids will love to hear. Keep up the great blogging!
Tiffany

Linda said...

I loved reading more about your family. Don't you love family history. It's so interesting!
Hey what is your official blog name? I am trying to add you to my blog and its not working.

Anonymous said...

I love your cute blog! It was neat to read about your grandpa:) Isn't it great that we can be all be together again someday?